Thursday, June 11, 2009

Eeeeewww

Vegemite...really? I've never had it so I know I'm committing the cardinal sin of commenting without knowledge. BUT, disgusting! I just watched Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern on the Travel channel. The Vegemite showcase occurred in Australia, where this episode was set.

I love this show. Of course there's crazy weird food, but it always has a connection to the locale and the culture, which is what I really love about the show. Don't worry, I would never offer to stand in for Andrew and actually eat any of the food, I just think it's cool that someone does (someone that's not me). Anyway, prior to the Vegemite segment, Andrew was eating roasted moths, kangaroo tails and emu breasts. Yum.

But, back to the Mite. Apparently, it's made from some yeast residue or something similar that a beer brewmaster thought might be a tasty treat years and years ago. Zimmern described it as tasting like raw beef bullion paste. Ha...run out and buy some NOW, right? He interviewed many native Australians regarding the Mite. It's most commonly eaten for breakfast on "toesat" with "buttah". 9 out of 10 Australian household's have it on hand. Gag gag gag.

DO NOT confuse Vegemite with Nutella. Even though they come in a similarly shaped little jar and even those the consistency is somewhat similar and even though Vegemite is only slightly darker than Nutella and even though they both are enjoyed on continents other than our own, they ARE NOT the same. Vegemite is disgusting. That is all...

No comments:

Post a Comment