Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Heart Burn...

Another keepsake for all the world to see. Except this one isn't as nauseating as the gushing notes Tie and I wrote each other.

My mom gave me this card on February 22, 1995. I was 13 and I really liked a boy.

In discussing it with her, I must have made some reference to her probably thinking it was stupid that I might like someone a lot, being that I was only 13. Her words in the card indicated that she in fact didn't think it was stupid and that she was excited for me. I marvel at how she brought herself to write such words. Excited for me? I hope I have empathy for my kids like Mom did for me. Especially when they're 13. Or a girl. Or a 13 year old girl. Daunting task.

The message inside the card says "Follow Your Heart." Cliche maybe. But it doesn't have to be cliche. If your heart is commanded by Christ, it's never wrong. If He dwells there, your should always trust what it tells you. The it that you hear from your heart is Him. Things may get lost in translation. There may be a lot of background noise. Perhaps the signal won't be strong and there will be static. But when a sponge is saturated, some water will always come out. Saturate your heart with the Word, with worship, with the Kingdom, with His purpose for you. When the sponge is squeezed, the water that comes out will be Christ coming out of you.

Thanks Mom for the card. As you can see by the pinholes (hung on numerous bulletin boards for a while now), your words were special to me. Pretty cool that they're special in an entirely new way so many years later.

1 comment: