Saturday, July 11, 2009

Beachy Keen...

So...I'm going through a dry spell..obviously. Mostly because I haven't had anything interesting to say lately. But, I've got to break the funk, so I'll resort to updating.

Tie and I went to the beach with our friends Andy & Jenny two weeks ago.

Not just any beach. Seagrove Beach. Sigh...I love that place. If you can be in love with a place, I'm a smitten kitten! We went to the same exact spot last year and had a great trip. I was slightly worried that this year wouldn't be as great as last year but, alas, it was!

Now, the beach and I have had a troubled relationship. When I was 8 or 9, I got stung by a wicked jelly fish! It left a scar on my foot. And, don't let anyone tell you that's not possible. I have proof!

My family went to Panama City Beach when I was 12. I had recently broken my ankle and had to wear a stikin' garbage bag over my cast. Unfortunately, they don't make nude colored bags so, me and my giagunzo black garbage bag were relegated to making sand castles: I'm pretty sure getting sand in crevices isn't anyone's favorite part of the beach. My parents did let me float in a large raft at one point. I nearly floated to Cuba before anyone came out to get me. I was roasted and peeved and my ankle had sweat and as a result itched terribly. Strike number 2 for the beach.

The third strike came during my freshman year in college. I tore pretty much every ligament/tendon in my right shoulder during the first Spring practice for softball. I had shoulder repair surgery right before Spring Break. My family went to Destin the following week with my little brother's school baseball team. Tie and his family went with us too. I was still loaded up on pain meds and my scar was oozy and nasty, etc. I had to wear a ton of gauze on it and the dumb sling. So...no swimming for me. No sun for me. And, to make matters worse, my Mom decided that I needed to be weaned off the meds...she called the trip my beach detox. I was miserable and my medication was being reduced. Oh bother is right!

So...me + beach = flop for awhile. The streak was broken in 2005. My college girlfriends and I went to a place on the outskirts of Destin. It was low key and the place we stayed was super nice. At the time I thought the beach couldn't get any better but...then Tie and I went together last year.

So, this year and last year were pretty much the same, save a few differences. Last year we went it early August. This time, mid-June. It was hot this time but not nearly as hot as last year. We rode the rented beach comber bikes a lot more this year. No one got sunburned this time. But, we still went to Seaside several evenings to ride around the neighborhoods and discuss the houses, etc. We still ate at Bud & Ally's. We still played a ton of games in the evening. Still drank margaritas, wine, beer...no Virginia Gentleman this time though!

Seagrove is great because it's so low-key and non-commercial. It's between Destin and Panama City on a stretch of 2-lane highway, 30-A. It's right next to Seaside, which is extremely picturesque and beautiful. But, it's super expensive and there are some snooty rich people there. With my wine-spilling and infrequent bike rage (seriously, you have to go single file when there's traffic coming at you from the other direction...), I'm not sure I'd fit in!

Anyway, the beach and I have reconciled and we have a great relationship now. I like to go fairly early, stay as long as I can stand it (until I have to potty) and go back for more after that. I like to swim out really far in the water (until Tie says to come in) and I like to drink out of glass bottles (until the beach patrol rides up on the sand.

See, I told you I was a smitten!

2 comments:

  1. i miss the beach. i mean, i seriously miss it like i would miss my right hand. okay, maybe not that much, but sometimes i get distracted because i think about it so much. today, i had a serious 30-a moment when, after looking at places to live for 10 hours (not exaggerating at all), we drove past a lake community and came upon a community of homes with the same wooden siding and the same white trim and the same pastel colors as the lovely houses in seaside. it was amazing. none were for rent and i don't have $600,000 to buy one. however, our #1 choice is just down the road and it is RIGHT on the bike trail. needless to say, andy and i are buying beach cruisers with baskets so we can ride our bikes to the grocery store and town center for lunch and movies, almost like at the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys look really skinny in these pics, no joke.

    ReplyDelete