Wednesday, December 23, 2009

I saw the movie "Brothers" a few nights ago with Tie and his siblings, Tate and Tory. From the preview, it definitely looked like it was going to be an intense flick. Indeed it was. Perhaps a little too intense if you ask Tie. His exact words after we walked out of the theater were "It makes me want to shoot myself in the head."

However, intense, twisted, heavy, depressing movies are some of my favorite. My top 5 include Braveheart (the redeeming qualities outweigh the intensity), Million Dollar Baby (yes, I know I'm the only person on the planet who likes this movie) and Goonies (oh wait...it doesn't fall into this category).

Anyway, the basic plot of "Brothers" centers around a man who is a captain in the Marines (played by Tobey Macguire). He deploys to Afghanistan and bad things happen. Meanwhile, his wife (Natalie Portman) finds comfort in her growing relationship with his ner' do well brother (Jake Gyllenhal). When Brother Marine gets back from war, he has extreme psychological damage which essentially results in the destruction (figuratively) of his family.

One of the main reasons I like intense movies is because they generally make me think about something more so than I usually would. I am embarrassed to admit that it took this movie to actually make me think more deeply about the soldiers that fight for the United States, on my behalf. Tie and I both discussed how we really don't want anyone's family to be ruined in our name...while they fight for us. Is anything worth someone else's life? Certainly my faith is worth my own life. But aren't I the one who has to make that sacrifice? If someone else is making it on my behalf, then obviously I'm not losing anything. In our 20 minute ride home from the movie theater, our conversation only scratched the surface of the issue, which I guess is if and when war and fighting is appropriate and right.

I repeat, it is embarrassing to confess that I think about this subject far less than I should. But, I'm ok to admit that. My admission makes me accountable. It's on my radar. I'm actively thinking about it. I want to resolve my feelings/beliefs about it.

See the movie. It's worth the momentary and superficial discomfort caused by engineered intensity if it causes you to consider the reality of the lives our soldiers lead and the responsibility that we, as citizens of the country they fight for, bear for their circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment