Thursday, February 26, 2009

Lunchmeat...

Yeah, it's been awhile, I know. Busy bee. New car, new sport season at school, just stuff.

Anyway, progress has been made with the snarky sophomores. Granted it is rather superficial and built mostly upon sugary carbohydrates, but alas, progress is better than having voodoo dolls created in my likeness. We are currently marching through the French Revolution. I love this particular revolution. It's just what every good revolution aspires to be...bloody, senseless, corrupt, hopeful, hopeless, inspiring and historically significant. Of course, the students love it only for one of the reason's above: heads roll.

They're getting into this unit. We're bonding over our mutually mangled pronunciation of Jacobin (ya-co-bin) and Robespierre (robe-is-pee-air). Their's is accidental, mine is intentional, to soften the edges of my cold-blooded exterior. I made them cupcakes frosted blue, white and red like the newly-adopted tri-color flag of the Revolution and Marquis de Lafayette.

And then, a watershed moment occurred. It actually came from one of the more pampas students I've been blessed with. And yes, I'm sure you think that's harsh, but, this kid signs his paper as "The" (first name, last name) or "President" (first name, last name) and even "The One and Only" (first name, last name)He's very very smart. At least once a week, he tries to trip me up with something I'm sure he looked up on Wikipedia about the most obsolete, insignificant detail of something in our textbook. He is serious and borderline smug 95% of the time.

A couple of days ago, as we were discussing the bourgeoisie, he raised his hand. I was bracing myself for whatever ridiculous thing he was going to ask me that I didn't know the answer to. Instead, he said, "Is this the same bourgeoisie that's referenced in the Hillshire Farms lunch meat commercial?" AHHHHHHHH!!!! I LOVE those commercials. All of them. I sing them in the house. I put extra emphasis on the last word: HUUUUHHHH!!!

Yes, it's the same one! I was so amused and honestly happy. Lame, I know you're thinking. But this is one of those moments that I live for. I love history for goofy reasons. Goofiness is a prevailing theme in my life. So, when "The One and Only" descended from his serious seat to mire in the muck of goofy history with me, it was just, well, plain old touching. I promptly pulled up said commercial on YouTube for our viewing pleasure and we all had a hearty laugh.

Next week I'm thinking about finger sandwiches of French baguettes, with brie and a little lunchmeat...I'm sure the bonding would really get out of hand...we'd be stuck together like glue!

3 comments:

  1. Don't you just love those moments? And as an aside, is he a pampas grass student or just pompous? :_) Sorry, I just couldn't resist...I am a teacher of anglais, after all.
    Bonne journée!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should apply for the always open and desperately needed position of personal spell checker. Granted, it pays nothing, but, given the amount of times you will correct my spelling, it would be a very rewarding experience! You would also have to read my mind though. That is where regular spell checker fails...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where do I send my résumé for that job? :-)

    ReplyDelete